My friend is illegal and got a dwi, will he get sent to mexico? They haven't set his bond yet.

Asked over 2 years ago - Granbury, TX

First time to ever get pulled over.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. James Richard Butler

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The key word here is illegal. Technically, if your friend is illegal, he could be deported. I live in Houston and the Harris County Sheriff's department participated in the 287 (g) program, which allowed deputies to question inmates about their immigration status, and act in the role of immigration officers. In Harris County, deputies were trained and supervised directly by ICE, even though they worked for the Sheriff's Department. If an inmate is here illegally, an immigration hold can be placed on them at the county jail. Depending on the outcome of their case, they could ultimately be released to the immigration detention center. A person could seek an immigration bond once they were transferred to the detention center, but this is an issue best addressed by an immigration attorney. That being said, I have noticed fewer holds being placed on low level non violent offenders. The reason? Budget cuts and a lack of support by the current administration. The 287 (g) budget was cut for next year by 27%. ICE was apparently told to throttle back on non violent offenders, but again, this is best discussed with an immigration lawyer. You need to have your attorney show up to court first thing Monday morning to request a "reasonable bond". If the judge denies bail or sets it too high, take it up on appeal. I hope some of this information helps.

    My answer is based upon the limited amount of information available at the time of writing.I am a Texas DWI Lawyer.... more
  2. Isaul Verdin

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He may be eligible for an ICE bond. You need to also consult with an immigration lawyer to discuss possible defenses for his removal proceedings. The key here is to move fast to contact an immigration lawyer.

    Best of luck.

    Verdin Law Firm, LLC
    Dallas, TX

  3. Danielle L C Beach

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . ASk for a bond and then ICE may have already lodged a detainer in which case you would be given a court date for immigration court and would be either released by ICE on recognizance or pay a bond but depends where you are as certainly although 287 (g) is being done away with it still gets reported to ICE in other ways. Depending on how long your friend has been here and his relatives he may qualify for other relief.

  4. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This question is best suited for an immigration attorney.

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a... more
  5. Sonya Nicole Campbell

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Additionally if an immigration bond is set, your friend will have to put up the entire bond amount, not just a percentage.

    This response in no way establishes attorney/client privilege or relationship.

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Immigration court

Immigration court is a division of the US Department of Justice that oversees and decides cases involving immigrants facing deportation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,154 answers this week

3,410 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,154 answers this week

3,410 attorneys answering