Skip to main content

My friend is going to serve Proof of service and Return of Service.

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Litigation Family law

I am having my friend who is not a party to my visitation domestic case in superior court serve the respondent's attorney, Do I need to leave a copy of the Proof of Service with them? Do they have to sign the Proof of Service. I know that after they've been served I have to file the Proof of Service and Return of service. Is there anything else I need to know

Attorney Answers 2


Ms. Border's post is correct. As further clarification, your friend doesn't need to leave a copy of the Proof of Service with "them" (respondent's attorney), and "they" (your friend) will have to sign the Proof of Service.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


The law in Washington State is that anyone over the age of 18 who is not a party to an action may serve the opposing side with documents. A Certificate of Service/Return of Service must be signed and dated and indicate where it was served by the person who is the server. This must be filed with the court.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment



I wonder if my friend only needs to sign the respondent's attorney with just the proof of service as Mr. Daniel Stowe commented. Since I am Pro-Se maybe I also need my friend to do Acertificate of Service. Is the Certificate of Service the same as Proof of service. I know that we have to file a Return of Service.

Litigation topics

Recommended articles about Litigation

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics