My friend is getting a divorce after years of marriage but not living together for many years.

Forest Park, GA |
Filed under: Divorce

She does not know if she should hire a lawyer or does not know what income or property he has. She was not on social security while they had the busy together as she wanted to but he said no. What should she do?

One thing is real certain - your friend would be wise to see a lawyer. Pro se divorces often go badly and she could be over her head before she knows it. I'd be glad to talk to her. Have her call my office at 404-768-3509.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Counsel is correct. If your friend is divorcing from a long term marriage, and given there seem to be issues regarding the marital estate, I urge you to have your friend contact a local attorney familiar with divorce law to explain her options to her. Best of Luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

The other two attorneys are correct. If your friend is getting a divorce, she should hire an attorney. In the meatime, she should not take advice from her husband regarding his financial status.

I am available to discuss the matter with your friend next week if she has time.
My number is (770)367-1234 and email is

Recommended articles about Divorce