My friend is getting a divorce after years of marriage but not living together for many years.

She does not know if she should hire a lawyer or does not know what income or property he has. She was not on social security while they had the busy together as she wanted to but he said no. What should she do?

Forest Park, GA -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (3)

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Framingham, MA

Counsel is correct. If your friend is divorcing from a long term marriage, and given there seem to be issues regarding the marital estate, I urge you to have your friend contact a local attorney familiar with divorce law to explain her options to her. Best of Luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
Glen Edward Ashman

Glen Edward Ashman

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - East Point, GA

One thing is real certain - your friend would be wise to see a lawyer. Pro se divorces often go badly and she could be over her head before she knows it. I'd be glad to talk to her. Have her call my office at 404-768-3509.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
Paula Jeanette Mcgill

Paula Jeanette Mcgill

Family Law Attorney - Atlanta, GA

The other two attorneys are correct. If your friend is getting a divorce, she should hire an attorney. In the meatime, she should not take advice from her husband regarding his financial status.

I am available to discuss the matter with your friend next week if she has time.
My number is (770)367-1234 and email is

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.