My friend is a legal citizen but his parents are illegal immigrants. can he apply for residency for both parents?

Asked 11 months ago - Valparaiso, IN

Is he allowed both or does he have to choose one?

1. Daniel Warren Thomann

5

1

Answered . There is no restriction on the number of parents that a US citizen who is 21 years old or more can sponsor, but the financial support requirement may pose a barrier, and the parents' ability to adjust their status in the US may also pose a barrier. I suggest discussing the details directly with an immigration attorney. Good luck!

2. Dana Roxana Bucin

3

1

Answered . Depends on how they came to this country (without nape ton or with a visa that later expired?). Also depends on whether your friend is over 21. There may be other factors as well.

3. Jennifer Doerrie

3

Answered . If your friend is a U.S. citizen and his parents meet the admissibility requirements, he can apply for both parents. However, each parent will need his/her own application.

Your friend is encouraged to consider consulting with an experienced immigration attorney (and not an unlicensed notary or consultant) prior to filing any paperwork to make certain that there are not any inadmissibility concerns and that he understands the correct process and files the right paperwork for his parents, as the requirements can be very different if they are already in the U.S. than if they are in another country. For assistance locating experienced immigration attorneys, he can look here on Avvo, at www.aila.org (American Immigration Lawyer's Association), or at www.immigrationlawhelp.org.

Best wishes,
    Jennifer

4. Bradley Lawrence Whitney Thomson

Pro

3

Answered . Yes. However, if they entered without inspection, they may not be able to adjust status to a permanent resident in the USA. I recommend a consultation with an immigration to figure what options are available and to explain the process.

5. Rodrigo Ivan Canido

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with what others have said. A waiver may also be required based on the illegal status of the parents.

--

LORIC, Immigration Solutions

Rodrigo Ivan Canido
    Managing Attorney

3333 Bowers Ave, Suite 130
    Santa Clara, CA 95054
    Tel: 650-279-5933
    Email: rcanido@loric.net.in
    www.loric.net.in

6. Calvin T. Sun

2

Answered . Agree with colleagues.