Skip to main content

My friend has a DUI charge in Brooklyn, NY. He has a lawyer but I think he should get a different one.

Brooklyn, NY |

My friend has a DUI charge and has to go to court again in April. He said he was lost and was driving around the same building several times. He got pulled over and issued a DUI as he was over the limit. He also has a Commercial Driving License.

He has an appointed lawyer but he seems to have very little faith in her. What possible outcomes might he face?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


With a CDL, any plea to any DWI or DWAI will mean loss of his CDL. He may have to go to trial!

Your friend needs a very good attorney.
Good Luck.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


He needs an agressive attorney. I can recommend one...

Scott David Levy

Scott David Levy


Yefim rocks!


Even if he pleads down to a dwai violation his cdl will be suspended for 1 year. He needs a good criminal defense lawyer who knows how to handle a dui case. I had a similiar situation and saved the ckient

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


If your friend has any doubts as to his lawyer's ability, he should be contacting other lawyers to determine whether or not there something more that can be done. Unfortunately, even the best criminal defense lawyer can lose a DWI case and sometimes the best resolution for the client is a plea to DWAI. Your friend should consult with another lawyer to determine whether or not there is a viable defense that his present counsel is not considering.


1 year in jail and loss of his CDL is possible.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer