Skip to main content

My friend has a cultivators liecense here in california, can you please tell me if it would be legal for him to sell marijuana

Antioch, CA |

At a house party that is made into a Medical Marujuana party so only people who have cannibus cards can come inside. and also if we have security and everything to insure noone illegal steps inside. Could my friend sell his marujuana there?? just a question i had. wanted to be safe

Attorney Answers 3


First there is not such thing as a cultivators license. Well, I take that back, the FDA issued some licenses last year to the most powerful and rich pharmaceutical companies to grow marijuana. But that is for a different forum.

Anyway. Interesting that you ask a question about a friend and then you say "...if WE have security..." Okay - I think your spirit is great, but this scenario is not going to protect you federally or within California.

I have lots of experience with medical marijuana and I say to you “Danger, Will Robinson!” (google this phrase if you are not familiar young man)

The above information does not establish an attorney client relationship nor is it meant to provide legal advice.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


You don't contact Avvo for legal advice, just for information. This is to inform you that marijuana is still a controlled substance. Even if it is legal under state law for medical use and the state and local law enforcement look the other way (and I am not advising you that they will) the Feds can bust you. A big pot party for medical marijuana users doesn't seem like medical use to me, by the way.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


Quite frankly, don't walk away from this one, run. To walk a fine line, you need to stay within the rigid rules established in local ordinances. It is just not a desirable spot to be in. If you comply with state and local requirements, it is most difficult and they seem to be constantly busting these operations. Nevertheless, you are always at risk of the Feds taking an interest in your operation. If the Feds get interested, there will be no applicable exception to the rule.

I hope this is helpful.

John N. Kitta

This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics