My friend got in accident while texting... what can happen?

me and my friend hang out and he drop his car off my house and i drove him but when i drop him off at my house he used his car to go home and get into an accident... i know its sound stupid but am i at fault in anyway? when we hung out we didnt drink or anything, and what if he was texting me and get into the accident while texting me? i also didnt know that he was driving though

Huntington Beach, CA -

Paul Y. Lee

Paul Y. Lee

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Huntington Beach, CA

From your description, you are not at fault. I agree that your friend should be advised never to text while driving. You probably learned a valuable lesson too.

Michael R Crosner

Michael R Crosner

Personal Injury Lawyer - Northridge, CA

It is not your fault - you were not the one driving. In the future tell your friends not to text or call while driving - it is against the law & very very dangerous.

Minh Tri Nguyen

Minh Tri Nguyen

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Long Beach, CA

You were not driving the car nor were you in the car distracting the driver and thus, you are not at fault for your friend's accident. Your friend's choice to text and drive was his and he alone is responsible for the consequences.

William West Seegmiller

William West Seegmiller

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Newport Beach, CA

First of all, I hope no one was injured due to this unfortunate circumstance. Only the driver would be held liable for an accident involving texting behind the wheel, not the person he was exchanging texts with at the time of the crash. Tell your friend to put his cell phone out of reach or turn it off while driving so he is not tempted to repeat his mistake. Texting and driving is extremely dangerous and impairs one's ability to drive similar to drunk driving.

Wendy Ha Chau

Wendy Ha Chau

Personal Injury Lawyer - San Francisco, CA

Texting while driving is very dangerous. I hope you and your fried learned from his car accident-- to not text while driving. It could have been more worse, serious. I am glad your friend was not severely injured or died from this accident.

And NO, it is not your fault. He should have waited to respond to your text after driving... I'm sure you feel bad but it is not your fault.

Scott J. Corwin

Scott J. Corwin

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

You are not at fault for the car accident. Texting and driving or other forms of distracted driving causes countless car accidents every year and should be avoided at all times. Distracted driving can also include other activities using a hand held device i.e. using a maps application or internet browsing. I included a link below to a blog post regarding recent California laws regarding distracted driving. I wish your friend a speedy recovery.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

No.

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Berkeley, CA

You are not at fault. No texting while driving. It's a bad recipe for disaster. Best of luck.

Neil William Putnam

Neil William Putnam

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Hapeville, GA

It was his bad decision to text while driving, whether he was texting you or anyone else. In Georgia, it is illegal to text and drive. If he caused the accident, he is the one responsible to compensate the injured driver. Assuming he had insurance on his car, that insurance should pay to the extent of his policy limits. You have no responsibility.

Stephen Andrew Hamer

Stephen Andrew Hamer

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer

It is NOT your fault!

Phillip Hunter Gillespie

Phillip Hunter Gillespie

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Charlotte, NC

You are not at fault as you were not the one driving. Texting while driving is dangerous, hopefully this incident will provide a valuable example of why you should never text and drive.