My friend got caught shoplifting at Target. Will he have to pay the civil demand?

Asked 12 months ago - New York, NY

My friend Mike was caught at a Target shoplifting several articles of clothing. He put them back when he thought he was being watched, went to a Toysrus nearby, but went back to the Target & stole different clothing. They took his info from id, but they did not call the police. They told him of a ticket he'll get in the mail in 2 weeks to pay. He signed a paper & left.

He told me that while he was at Toysrus, he took a couple of small items but was not caught. Target knew he went to the toy store; they saw him enter. They did not know he stole there as well. He would like to know if Target can inform Toysrus that he was caught at Target, and to check their own cameras to see if he stole from the toy store?

Also, what will happen if he does not pay the fine?

Oh, he also thought as he walked home that he was being followed by the police. He saw a police car as he crossed one street (he was still a bit away from home) but thought nothing of it. It's only when he got to the last block before turning the corner to his building that he saw 2 police officers standing on the curb in front of a grocery store. When he turned the corner to his building, he was not followed. I told him I don't think the police do it that way. They would have come to the store if they were called.

I told him let this be a lesson learned and never do it again. He agrees. Very foolish.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . Can Target tell Toys R Us? Yes. Will they? Unlikely.
    I advise my clients to ignore the civil demand because I've never seen a store sue to collect. I write the store or it's lawyer and tell them not to contact my client. That ends the letters and calls that will start soon for your friend. Your friend was lucky not to get arrested and should not count on getting so lucky again.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

4

Answered . If he does not pay the fine they will likely just write him some letters. ignore the civil demand and they will most likely not do anything.

3. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my NY colleagues. Hopefully Mike learned his lesson. He does not appear to be the smartest criminal.

Jasen Nielsen