My friend crashed my car, who is legally responsible for the damages.

New York, NY |

I was in a pinch and asked my friend to park my car. As she was backing out another car sped by and hit the back of my car. They didn't stop, just kept going so no one got any contact info. My insurance company wont cover it. This happened earlier today. I went to a mechanic and the damages total almost 2000 dollars. Who is liable to pay for the damages to my car, me or my friend who was driving? This happened in New York, NY. Also my friend does not have a licence, only a learner permit.

1. Technically your friend is responsible. But If you want to keep him a friend, maybe offer to split the cost. Also try to talk down the repair shop to $1500.

The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general educational purposes only. See an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for competent legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through the within legal question and answer session.

2. Your friend was the driver when the accident occurred, so theoretically your friend would be. But since he only had a learners permit you assumed the risk when you let an inexperienced driver drive your car.

I am only licensed in Arkansas. No part of this answer should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship.

3. Under NY law the owner is as respsosible for the negligence of someone driving the car with permission. Why won't your carrier cover the loss?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. The owner. Retain a local insurance lawyer to deal with your insurance company and hold their feet to the fire.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com