My friend crashed my car, who is legally responsible for the damages.

I was in a pinch and asked my friend to park my car. As she was backing out another car sped by and hit the back of my car. They didn't stop, just kept going so no one got any contact info. My insurance company wont cover it. This happened earlier today. I went to a mechanic and the damages total almost 2000 dollars. Who is liable to pay for the damages to my car, me or my friend who was driving? This happened in New York, NY. Also my friend does not have a licence, only a learner permit.

New York, NY -

Anthony A. Ferrante

Anthony A. Ferrante

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Brooklyn, NY

Technically your friend is responsible. But If you want to keep him a friend, maybe offer to split the cost. Also try to talk down the repair shop to $1500.

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Personal Injury Lawyer - New York, NY

Under NY law the owner is as respsosible for the negligence of someone driving the car with permission. Why won't your carrier cover the loss?

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

The owner. Retain a local insurance lawyer to deal with your insurance company and hold their feet to the fire.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Lisa Douglas

Lisa Douglas

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - North Little Rock, AR

Your friend was the driver when the accident occurred, so theoretically your friend would be. But since he only had a learners permit you assumed the risk when you let an inexperienced driver drive your car.