My friend and I got our second summons for possession. what do we do?

Brooklyn, NY |

My friend and I (22,24) today got a summons each for possession of marijuana ( found in my car). In addition to that I got another summons for the knife i had in my glove compartment. These are our second summons's for possession. The first happened 2 years ago when we were arrested. We were given a court date, we appeared and 3 months later it was dismissed.

So my questions re:
1) what will happen to our records?
2) what will happen to me regarding the summons for the knife i got?
3) how much money am i looking at?
4) how do we proceed from here?
5)what steps should we take to make this as quick and easy as possible?
6) what is the best case scenario for the both of us?

It depends if the court checks its records, which it sometimes does. Is this 346 Broadway? I'm there all the time. Hire a criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

1) Nothing unless you are convicted of a misdemeanor. The knife is a misdemeanor, the marijuana may be a violation or a misdemeanor.
2) Depends - there are several issues relating to the search and seizure, what type of knife it is - too complicated to answer here.
3) For what? Hiring a lawyer ($1500 - $3000?)? Fines and surcharges ($120 - $200)?
4 Hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer ASAP.
5) See answer to 4.
6. Dismissal of all charges or ACD.

There is too much to discuss per your questions. You should be asking this degree of information from you attorney who you will need anyway.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.