My friend and I got our second summons for possession. what do we do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

My friend and I (22,24) today got a summons each for possession of marijuana ( found in my car). In addition to that I got another summons for the knife i had in my glove compartment. These are our second summons's for possession. The first happened 2 years ago when we were arrested. We were given a court date, we appeared and 3 months later it was dismissed.

So my questions re:
1) what will happen to our records?
2) what will happen to me regarding the summons for the knife i got?
3) how much money am i looking at?
4) how do we proceed from here?
5)what steps should we take to make this as quick and easy as possible?
6) what is the best case scenario for the both of us?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . It depends if the court checks its records, which it sometimes does. Is this 346 Broadway? I'm there all the time. Hire a criminal defense lawyer.

2. John M. Cromwell

Pro

Answered . 1) Nothing unless you are convicted of a misdemeanor. The knife is a misdemeanor, the marijuana may be a violation or a misdemeanor.
    2) Depends - there are several issues relating to the search and seizure, what type of knife it is - too complicated to answer here.
    3) For what? Hiring a lawyer ($1500 - $3000?)? Fines and surcharges ($120 - $200)?
    4 Hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer ASAP.
    5) See answer to 4.
    6. Dismissal of all charges or ACD.

3. Marco Caviglia

Answered . There is too much to discuss per your questions. You should be asking this degree of information from you attorney who you will need anyway.