My friend and I got an MIP. However, nowhere on my citation does it say MIP?

Asked 11 months ago - Corvallis, OR

The ticket only says BAC 0.0367 and 2013CO2379. Also, on the back of the citation, option 1 says "enter a plea of no contest and pay the court the amount of the presumptive fine". I looked at the presumptive fine written on the front of the ticket and there is nothing written in those boxes. Does this mean that I am off the hook? And if so, if I "pay" the fine of nothing, will it still be on my record?

Update: The officer called me today and said he forgot to write a fine on the ticket and a MIP citation so he said he had to legally tell me that he was changing it. He didn't tell me what the fine was. Should I fight it? He wrote the ticket messily, wrote the wrong DOB and spelled my name with an O instead of an A. if so, will it still be on my record?

Additional information

Also, this was in Oregon.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Richard E Oberdorfer


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need a lawyer now -- to make a "special appearance" for you, noting that you've not been properly served, and asking for immediate dismissal. As a matter of basic fairness, we don't let one side submit an altered document to court -- which is what the cop called you and told you he was doing. Also, you have voice mail for a reason -- stop chatting with the cop, you have a right to silence. He's not on your side, and he's not trying to help. Your MIP comes with a 1-year driver license if convicted. So get a lawyer to try to NOT be convicted.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,684 answers this week

2,900 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary