Skip to main content

My friend and I bought property together as Joint Tenants. He stopped me from accessing it. What CA Code can I sue him under?

Los Angeles, CA |

About 5 years ago my friend and I went in on an investment together. At first we rented the house out and split the proceeds. Then the past 2 yrs he has been living there and not paying me anything. We had a falling out and he changed the locks. Is there a CA Code I can sue him under to obtain money from him for depriving me of my share of the property?

Attorney Answers 2


You have many rights as a joint tenant including the right of equal access to the entire estate. Is that still the type of tenancy? It could have been severed. Do you have a partnership agreement? I think your first order of business is to obtain a preliminary title report to determine not only the present state of title but also the nature of any liens or encumbrances. Following that, or in conjunction with that task, you should retain an attorney to take appropriate action. The action you should take will depend on the exact circumstances and your desires. In most cases, a negotiated settlement is better than a lawsuit although you may have to file suit to stimulate those negotiations. I do not think this is something you can handle on your own for the simple fact that, in the last 2 years, you have been unsuccessful. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Nicholas Basil Spirtos


This is a very good answer. You should follow Mr. Daymude's advice.


You have the right to partition and force the sale of the property. Note, your friend's actions are clearly hostile to you. If he is also paying the property taxes, the time for running of adverse possession most likely began at least two years ago. You need to protect your rights and act.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics