My foster dog got in a fight with a dog, whose owner put his hand in my dogs mouth and was bite. Am I liable?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Collins, CO

My foster dog got in a fight with a dog, whose owner put his hand in my dogs mouth and was bite. Am I liable? And do you know what animal control will do? I returned my foster to the shelter and she is in quarantine. He asked if I would pay half of his ER copay and I am willing but would that be admitting liability?

1. Jason Todd Studinski

8

Answered . Report this claim to your insurance company to resolve. Do not take action with respect to this claim without first reporting the claim to your insurer. There are certain provisions in a homeowners/renter's policy about your duty to cooperate with your insurer and part of this duty involves timely reporting claims and not taking any actions that would prejudice your insurance company.

So, report to your insurance company to resolve the claim. I hope this helps.

2. Joyce J. Sweinberg

Pro

6

Answered . Hand this over to your homeowner's insurance company. There is not enough here to draw any conclusions on liability. Even if there is no liability on you, your insurance may have a medpay provision that would pay some expenses without regard to liability. Let them decide how to handle it based on the facts of the case and the coverage you chose..

3. Antonios Kalogerakos

4

Answered . In an attempt to resolve the matter without reporting to your insurer, make sure you have him execute a full release of all claims. You can pay half the co-pay, but avoid being on the hook for all future costs, etc. If its more serious, and requires more treatment, I would suggest contacting your insurer. You can also ask them for some guidance on how to resolve this claim, without actually reporting the claim.

Pro

4

Answered . Simply report this to your homeowners' insurance carrier to resolve.