Skip to main content

My foster dog got in a fight with a dog, whose owner put his hand in my dogs mouth and was bite. Am I liable?

Fort Collins, CO |

My foster dog got in a fight with a dog, whose owner put his hand in my dogs mouth and was bite. Am I liable? And do you know what animal control will do? I returned my foster to the shelter and she is in quarantine. He asked if I would pay half of his ER copay and I am willing but would that be admitting liability?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Report this claim to your insurance company to resolve. Do not take action with respect to this claim without first reporting the claim to your insurer. There are certain provisions in a homeowners/renter's policy about your duty to cooperate with your insurer and part of this duty involves timely reporting claims and not taking any actions that would prejudice your insurance company.

    So, report to your insurance company to resolve the claim. I hope this helps.

  2. In an attempt to resolve the matter without reporting to your insurer, make sure you have him execute a full release of all claims. You can pay half the co-pay, but avoid being on the hook for all future costs, etc. If its more serious, and requires more treatment, I would suggest contacting your insurer. You can also ask them for some guidance on how to resolve this claim, without actually reporting the claim.

  3. Hand this over to your homeowner's insurance company. There is not enough here to draw any conclusions on liability. Even if there is no liability on you, your insurance may have a medpay provision that would pay some expenses without regard to liability. Let them decide how to handle it based on the facts of the case and the coverage you chose..

    I will evaluate your case for free. I can also refer you to an attorney to help you if I cannot help you. Call me. Joyce J. Sweinberg, Esquire 215-752-3732 Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.

  4. Simply report this to your homeowners' insurance carrier to resolve.

Animal law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics