My former landlord is making false accusations against me, and served me with a summons and complaint document.

Adrian, MI |

What can i do? He claims I owe 2 and more payments like cleaning crew and lawn care for the house. I left the house how it was when i first moved in.
Please help me.
Jennifer

1. Landlord / Tenant laws are very particular about what a Landlord can and cannot do. You have to talk to a quailifed lawyer (one how handles landlord/tenant law) immeidately. That lawyer will have to review your lease and the notices. For example, if you are required to pay for a cleaning crew or lawn care in the lease you might be stuck. If these are charges against your security deposit he has to do very specific things to withhold your money. On the other hand, you may have had to fill out a inventory when you left. Again, talk to a lawyer now. Good Luck.

2. You should consult an attorney who handles landlord-tenant cases as soon as possible if your are serious about disputing your former? landlord's claim. Alternatively, you should show up at court at the place and time set forth in the Summons and dispute the claims. Bring any documents, photos and witnesses that you have to dispute the landlord's claims. Tenants are entitled to normal wear and tear and cleaning ordinary wear and tear is not something the landlord can recover for unless he has a specific non-refundable cleaning fee - in which case it's not a security deposit, it is essentially, additional rent.

3. Talk to a local attorney and have
    them REVIEW your lease. Next time . . .
    have an attorney REVIEW your lease
    BEFORE you move in so you know
    your responsibilities and rights.

THIS ANSWER IS PURELY FOR ACADEMIC DISCUSSION ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ADVICE OR LEGAL REPRESENTATION.