My former employer is protesting my ui filing in ny. what do i do?

Flushing, NY |

i understand it may come to a hearing before an administrative judge. if i go with an attorney, are the fees regulated?

1. In New York, if you have applied for unemployment benefits and your claim has been denied, you are entitled to a fair hearing before an administrative law judge at the New York State Department of Labor (DOL). If you wish, you can be represented by a lawyer at this hearing.

A lawyer cannot charge you a fee for representing you at the hearing unless (1) you win, and (2) the fee is thereafter approved by the DOL. The rates are regulated by the DOL and are capped so that you will never pay an unreasonable fee.

2. Because of the limits on attorney fees, it may be difficult to find an attorney willing to represent you. But you can try the Unemployment Action Center at 212-998-6568. They are law school volunteers.

3. new York State's laws regulate how much an attorney can charge to handle an unemployment case, this has caused a severe limiting of how many attorneys will handle unemployment matters. It is virtually impossible to find an unemployment attorney anymore.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.