My former employer is posing as a former customer trying to find me.

Cincinnati, OH |

- I resigned after 20 months of working there due to declining work conditions.

- We have a non-compete but it's geographical area is the "continental United States". I'm not concerned about the non-compete since it can be defeated, so I am working at another company.

- Another guy who quit the day after me is also working at the company and they discovered that last week, so now they're on the lookout for me.

- A good friend of mine used to work there 2 years ago, and he started his own company, they assumed I'd work for him and called this morning posing as one of my former customers. They said, "this is XX at XX and we're trying to track down one of our loads, I need to speak to XX". He recognized the number so played along then assured them I'm not working there.

The purpose of a non-compete agreement is to prevent employees from accessing certain information and then taking that information to a competitor. However, non-compete agreements should never deprive a person of their livelihood which is why they are normally limited, both geographically and by time. You are most likely correct in your belief that it can be defeated if the geographical boundary is the "continental United States" as that is too broad. However, please know that just because it can be defeated does not mean that you will not have to engage in a legal battle to do so.

As to your former employer's actions, I am not sure what your question is. At this point, your former employer has not engaged in wrongful behavior. Chances are that your former employer is collecting information for that legal battle that I discussed, above.

If you would like to discuss this matter futher, feel free to contact my office to schedule a consultation.

Lori A. Strobl
Strobl & Associates, Co. L.P.A.
1015 E. Centerville Station Rd.
Centerville, Ohio 45459
(937) 496-1450

This website contains general information only. The information contained in this website is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice on any subject matter or intended as advertising or a solicitation. Readers should not rely on the information presented on this website for any purpose without seeking legal advice on the specific facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney in the reader’s state. The information in this website contains general information which is intended, but cannot be guaranteed, to be always up-to-date, complete and accurate. Any representation or warranty that might be otherwise implied is expressly disclaimed. Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the information contained in this website. Readers should not consider the information presented on this website to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, and the transmission of such information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, and attorney-client relationship between the reader and Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. The content of any Internet e-mail sent to Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. or to its attorneys at the e-mail addresses set forth in this website will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential. Readers should be aware that communications via the Internet may not be secure. Strobl & Associates Co., L.P.A. does not necessarily endorse, and is not responsible for, any third-party content that may be accessed through this website.

Never, ever assume that a non-compete is unenforceable, especially in Ohio. If the geographic area is too broad, a judge can simply "redraw" the area to make it more reasonable, in which case you will be liable for any violations in the new area. Unfortunately, it appears that your former employer may be on to your new work activities. Non-compete enforcement actions happen very quickly and are very expensive. You should consult with an employment attorney immediately to determine whether you are liable under the non-compete and, if so, whether a lawyer can negotiate your way out of it. Feel free to call my office and request a consultation with me.

Elizabeth S. Loring, Esq.
Freking & Betz, LLC
525 Vine St., 6th Floor
Cincinnati, OH 45202
tel: 513.721.1975
fax: 513.651.2570

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not act or rely on this answer without consulting with an attorney one-on-one. The response cannot and is not intended to replace a face-to-face or telephone consultation with an attorney, and no attorney-client relationship is created by this response in the absence of a fully executed representation agreement, even if a response was given to a question

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes