My fitness center cancelled my membership accusing me for training people. Can I sue for harassment, tokenism, discrimination.

Tonawanda, NY |

The director says I'm training them. No money is involved, we just workout together. There're multiple groups that workout together. They have been harassing me and my co-workers constantly. But they only kicked me out. The Director says he determines who training people and who is working out together. It does not state that in the contract nor does it state that I can't workout with multiple people. Do I have a case?

Unfortunately if it is a private business they have the right to refuse entry to whomever they want unless it's on account of race, color, nationality, etc. The facts you stated do not rise to the level of criminal harassment.

You may be able to sue in small claims court for breach of contract. But only for a refund of membership fees you have already paid.

"No good deed goes unpunished" as they say. Your altruism and leadership in training others gratis was no appreciated by the fitness center for some reason, so if the membership rules prohibit what you were doing, then you don't have much recourse. It woudl seem that if you have such a following, if you went to another center, many would follow you, and the present center might listen to that argument in reconsidering its position.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Business topics