My first time driving with suspended license I have to go to court what will happen to me

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jackson, MS

This is my first time the officer said I didn't have a warrant but he had to arrest me cause I was driving. I went to jail I had to pay 599.00 to get out and I still have to report to court what will happen being that I didn't no and this is my very first time being in this situation?

1. Lance O'Neal Mixon

2

Answered . The Mississippi Code provides as follows:

"Any person whose license issued pursuant to this article or driving privilege as a nonresident has been canceled, suspended or revoked as provided in this title or in Section 93-11-157 or 93-11-163, as the case may be, and who drives any motor vehicle upon the highways of this state while such license or privilege is canceled, suspended or revoked, is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two (2) days or more than six (6) months. There may be imposed in addition thereto a fine of not less than Two Hundred Dollars ($200.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) for each offense."

Section 63-1-57.

Additionally, if the suspension is a result of a violation under the Implied Consent Chapter, the Code provides:

"Any person whose driver's license, or driving privilege has been cancelled, suspended or revoked under the provisions of this chapter and who drives any motor vehicle upon the highways, streets or public roads of this state, while such license or privilege is cancelled, suspended or revoked, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than forty-eight (48) hours nor more than six (6) months, and fined not less than two hundred dollars ($200.00) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500.00).

The commissioner of public safety shall suspend the driver's license or driving privilege of any person convicted under the provisions of this section for an additional six (6) months. Such suspension shall begin at the end of the original cancellation, suspension or revocation and run consecutively."

Section 63-11-40.

As you can see, DWLS (Driving While License Suspended) is a serious offense.

You need to contact a criminal defense lawyer to address this situation and hopefully achieve some positive results.

Lance O. Mixon
    Flowood, MS

2. Jay Steven Lowenthal

Pro

1

Answered . I am not from your state, but, as you can see from the first answer, this is not a time to be going to court alone. You said you "didn't know". Didn't know what? That your license was suspended? What will happen to you will frankly depend a lot on why you were suspended in the first place. I would definitely see a "traffic attorney" if they have them where you are or if not, then a criminal defense attorney, as the first poster suggested.