Skip to main content

My first name is misspelled on a child support enforcement order. Am I obligated to pay if theres a clerical error?

Bronx, NY |

My first name is misspelled on a child support enforcement order. My middle and last names as well as the address are correct. They are not garnishing my wages or putting a hold on my bank acct. My question is due to their clerical error am I obligated to pay the arrears that accrue since they cannot locate me due to my name being misspelled. for instance my first name is Cotler but the order says Coler. If I would still be responsible how do I get this problem fixed where funds can be withdrew from wages.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You are still obligated on the order. In terms of correcting the order, you can simply notify SCU of the discrepancy or file a petition & get the Magistrate to amend the order. In any event, should you have further questions, I encourage you to contact a Bronx Co. Family Law attorney.

  2. This is a minor clerical error with no effect on the order.

    When people talk about technicalities in the law this is not what they mean.

    Here is an article on such mistakes - blue link below - in a slightly different context:

    Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

  3. You still have to pay.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  4. Unless they got the wrong person because of it, you are still on the hook.

    Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics