My first name is misspelled on a child support enforcement order. Am I obligated to pay if theres a clerical error?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bronx, NY

My first name is misspelled on a child support enforcement order. My middle and last names as well as the address are correct. They are not garnishing my wages or putting a hold on my bank acct. My question is due to their clerical error am I obligated to pay the arrears that accrue since they cannot locate me due to my name being misspelled. for instance my first name is Cotler but the order says Coler. If I would still be responsible how do I get this problem fixed where funds can be withdrew from wages.

1. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . You are still obligated on the order. In terms of correcting the order, you can simply notify SCU of the discrepancy or file a petition & get the Magistrate to amend the order. In any event, should you have further questions, I encourage you to contact a Bronx Co. Family Law attorney.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

7

Answered . You still have to pay.

3. Andrew Daniel Myers

7

1

Answered . This is a minor clerical error with no effect on the order.

When people talk about technicalities in the law this is not what they mean.

Here is an article on such mistakes - blue link below - in a slightly different context:

4. Matthew Thomas Majeski

Pro

5

Answered . Unless they got the wrong person because of it, you are still on the hook.