Skip to main content

My fiancee get her green card of US sponsored by her father(US citizen) , can she or he sponsor me? how much time it will take?

Lahaina, HI |

Respected lawyer
I m from india. My fiancee (also indian citizen) get her green card of US recently which is sponsored by her father(US citizen),shez leaving for CA on 15 sep 2012.can my fiancee or my father in law sponsor me? how much time it will take? Is there any other easiest and quicker way 2 get green card of US so that i can live and work in US with my fiancee .

i m 25 years old from india. doing job in MNC as a fresher.. (1 month experience)

Fiancee is indian,US green card holder. landing in US for the first time. sponsored by her father..

My father in law is US citizen and lives there from last 20 years..

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Your fiance will be able to petition for you once she gets her green card and you marry her.

    Guerra Saenz, PL--Immigration Attorneys (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

  2. The first thing to do is to get married to your fiancee. Then she can petition for you even as a green card holder. She cannot petition for you as a fiancee because she is not (yet) a US citizen.

    Assuming the marriage were to occur before her departure, it will take anywhere from 4-7 years before you can get your green card.

    And no, her father could not, and cannot sponsor you because you are not a family member.

  3. Your fiance can sponsor you if she marries you. however as an LPR an immigrant visa will not be available. You will have to wait. Once she is a USC she can sponsor you and a visa will be available without a wait.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics