My fiance is in jail and has schizophrenia, manic depresson, and other mental disorders they will not allow anyone to visit him.

Lykens, PA |

my finace has manic depression, schizophrenia, and a couple of other mental disorders, since septemper 2012 he has been 302ed by the state police for manic episodes about 4 times and during the episode he has been charged with some legal activities due to his manic episode, he has been since charged with criminal acts and placed on probation, and placed into a day program. he had seemed to come out of the manic episode, the day program had placed him on medications that seemed to cause a lot of problems and havent been sitting well with him and I had brought it up to them because i did not want his recovery to be jeprodized, I faced alot of critisim for bringing this up to his case worker he was assigned. about two weeks ago still on the medication, he had been sleeping for 2 days straight and i tried to wake him up he would not respond well and it was my beliefe it was from the medication, he had recieved a similar medication that caused the same activity before from him so i had called the ambulance, to make a long story short, his probation officer sent someone out to pick him up, i was told by his probabtion officer that he was being placed in the county prison to be checked over to make sure he was ok and that he would be helped since they he has these mental illnesses, its now more than two weeks later and the prison will not allow me to visit him and will not answer any of my questions. I am scared for his life the only thing at the prison they told me was that he has lost visitation rights, this is in Pennsylvania he also has a court hearing this tuesday and when i asked if his public defender would be present i was told by is probation officer he would not need one. i believe something is up big time and something is just not right PLEASE HELP US!

Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law apply, unless otherwise specified.

That being said, without knowing the charges or claims against him, if any, it is hard to evaluate his situation. You should see a local and experienced criminal defense attorney ASAP - being held apparently without charge, and having a hearing in which law enforcement states he doesn't need an attorney sounds fishy to me - but I do not practice criminal law. You need to get an attorney for him fast.

/Christopher E. Ezold/
The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
One Belmont Avenue,
Suite 501
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
(610) 660-5585
Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
www.ezoldlaw.com

I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies. /Christopher E. Ezold/ The Ezold Law Firm, P.C. Employment, Business and Health Law One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501 Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 (610) 660-5585 Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com www.ezoldlaw.com

thank you so much for your time and energy respeonding and your advice, trust me this whole situation is completly tramatic to me as well, they have been keeping me out of alot of things there have been alot of dead ends when i have asked for answers and tried communication with his mental health case worker, his probation officer, and also now the prison, they are not answering my questions and it is becoming very frustrating when i am the one paying his bills and have the stress of that on my plate too. i think im going to research a defense attorney asap. in all honesty i think some major laws are being broken and infringments of his rights are as well furthermore since him and i are a gay couple that may have something to do with it as well...

Christopher Edward Ezold

Christopher Edward Ezold

One problem you may be having is that you are not yet married, so health care providers and law enforcement may not be allowed to provide you certain information. You should definitely contact a local attorney; one who is near the courthouse and in court every day on involuntary commitment and mental health issues as well as criminal issues will likely be your best bet.

That is what i am doing as we speak, i know all of these things, i know that the best bet for my fiance and i as to adventuallly (asap) have a power of attorney paper drawn up, what gets me is that even made arrangements to go see him and when i arrived they then told me that he was unable to be seen, and i had asked why, all they told me was that where he was placed he didnt have the right to visitors, when asked where he was placed they did not answer, and said he had done something inappropriate, in my opinion he should have never been placed into jail in the first place with them knowing he had mental issues and this was the whole reason he was on probation in the first place, further more, he hadnt really broken probation, i had called 911 because he was not responding very well to me and when the ambulance crew came he could respond enough to turn down treatment, after the probabtion officers came they never read him his miranda rights even though they said he was under arrest. and they never took him to the hospital for treatment even after me calling them and explaining in full detail what was going on.

The best thing you can do for your fiancé is to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney for him. If a private attorney cannot be retained then contact the public defenders office. Good luck.