My fiance has a son he hasnt seen in a couple years. What are my rights as a stepparent?

Asked over 1 year ago - Albuquerque, NM

I have not been able to meet my step-son due to conflicts between my fiance and his sons mother. What are my rights to visit/see him, if any? My step-son has a little sister he has not met yet and I am trying to repair the relationship between him and his father to benefit him, my fiance, and my daughter. What is the process to repair that relationship between father and son to where the biological mother and her family cannot interfere or tarnish the fathers image and relationship with his son? What do we need to do to visit him, and to keep his mother from banning us to make contact with him as she has in the past?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stephen D Aarons

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your fiancé needs to demand visitation rights. Get a lawyer.

  2. Bennett James Wills


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . First, if it's your fiance's child, he's not yet your step-son. Second, you have no rights to visitation/see him because you are not his parent or have any other legal relationship to the child. The father should seek a court order granting custody and visitation. Hire a local family law attorney asap.

    This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,353 answers this week

2,782 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,353 answers this week

2,782 attorneys answering