My fiance died suddenly and I was not in his will. Do I have any legal right to his assets?

Asked over 3 years ago - Parsippany, NJ

My name was not on any of his bank accounts.

1. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . Sadly, you probably have no rights to any of his estate. When a person dies without a will the laws of intestate succession of the state of residence will control who gets the estate assets. Next of kin will get this estate.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is uuthorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States.His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.
    sjfpc@comcast.net ,
    website is www.sjfpc.com.
    blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/

2. Jonathan Scott Connor

Answered . I presume your stating you were not in his Will means he had one but you weren't included as a beneficiary. If that is the case then his Will controls and you will not be entitled to his assets through the Will. The bank accounts will likely have a Transfer on Death or Payable on Death beneficiary that will control. If you were not designated then you won't have a right to those accounts. If there was no beneficiary stated on those accounts then the bank will pay over the accounts to his estate, which is controlled by his Will.

DISCLAIMERS. Mr. Connor is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas. He may be reached by email at jconnor@connorlawfirm.com, or through his website at www.jonconnorlaw.com. The responses provided in this comment are not legal advice, do not create an attorney-client relationship and may vary depending on the jurisdiction of the matter. This site should not be used as a substitute for legal advice. These responses are for educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as anything other than general information. Seeking the advice of an attorney is strongly encouraged. Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.