My fiance broke off our wedding date and said we could never marry. Do I have to give the ring back or is it a gift in Ca. law.

Asked over 2 years ago - Modesto, CA

He is a widower and his grown children gave him such a hard time about remarrying that he said we could never get married but I could live with him. He told me to keep the ring but his kids thru a fit so he asked for it back a week later. Now his kids are calling me and wanting the ring or they will take legal action. This really threw me. I didn't see it coming, but his daughter just spent the last 3 months visiting him often from out of state and I guess she helped him come to this conclusion. We had made so many plans to get married at a destination wedding with family and friends going. A month later I am still in Shock1

1. Michael John Apicella

4

Best Answer

Answered . Under CA law, the engagement ring is considered a gift. Thus, you have no legal obligation to return it. This also means that the threats of legal action are hollow.

2. George Baker Richardson

3

2

Answered . I'm so sorry for your predicament. It makes one wonder ...

The engagement ring is specifically identified by CA law as a gift to you and neither the kids nor he can require you to give it back.

3. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . The ring is a gift. Your shock is understandable. They should have tried giving advice to my father!!!