My fiance and I are getting married and we are each going to do a prenup. Do we each need to get our own attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - Middleton, WI

She has her retirement assets, I have mine and I have a mortage-free house. She has the cash to buy one-half of my house which is valued at about $240,000. We were thinking of her buying into the house before we get married.

1. Regina Powers Hunter

Pro

8

Answered . I agree, each of you having your own attorney would be ideal.

Gina
    www.hunterlawgroup.com

2. Teri M. Nelson

Pro

5

Answered . You should. In the future, your pre-nup would be more likely to be upheld if you both have your own attorney. You should also make sure you both make an absolutely complete financial disclosure to each other as well.

3. John B. Stutt

5

Answered . An attorney would have a conflict if he/she represented both parties. The attorney's duty is one of loyalty to you. There are competing interests when a pre-nuptial agreement is negotiated.

4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . Yes-you each need to be advised of your rights and what you would gain or could lose by signing an agreement.