My fiance and I are getting married and we are each going to do a prenup. Do we each need to get our own attorney?

Middleton, WI |
Filed under: Prenuptial agreement

She has her retirement assets, I have mine and I have a mortage-free house. She has the cash to buy one-half of my house which is valued at about $240,000. We were thinking of her buying into the house before we get married.

You should. In the future, your pre-nup would be more likely to be upheld if you both have your own attorney. You should also make sure you both make an absolutely complete financial disclosure to each other as well.

I agree, each of you having your own attorney would be ideal.

An attorney would have a conflict if he/she represented both parties. The attorney's duty is one of loyalty to you. There are competing interests when a pre-nuptial agreement is negotiated.

This information is designed to provide a general overview with regard to the subject matter covered and is not case specific. The authors, publisher and host are not providing legal, accounting, or specific advice to your situation.

Yes-you each need to be advised of your rights and what you would gain or could lose by signing an agreement.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Prenuptial agreement topics

Recommended articles about Prenuptial agreement