My fiance' and I are about to get married. He was accepted for the dream act. Will this help with him wanting to be a citizen?

Asked over 1 year ago - Anderson, IN

He is 22 and has lived here for over 10+ years. Is currently on the last step of receiving his permit from the dream act. Getting married in 2014 and would like to be able to travel domestically and internationally. What process would we have to go through and how much would we have to pay?

1. Daniel Warren Thomann

3

Answered . Deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) is not "the DREAM Act", and one of the key differences between them is that DACA does not provide permanent legal status or a path to citizenship. Domestic travel with DACA approval should not be a problem, and in some circumstances he will be able to get a travel document after DACA approval: the filing fee is $360.00 and it allows international travel.

The actual DREAM Act needs to go through Congress (in 2010 it passed the House and had a majority in the Senate, but it was filibustered). People who are US citizens need to register to vote and contact Congress to ask them to include the DREAM Act in any immigration reform they pass so that people like your fiancee can get actual permanent status in the US and eventually become citizens. Good luck, and congratulations on the wedding!

2. Lalita Haran

Answered . The permit you are explaining would not be sufficient for him to obtain citizenship. You should consult with an experienced immigration lawyer for advice. Best Wishes!
    Lalita Haran
    Attorney: Immigration Law
    13295 Illinois St., Ste. 128
    Carmel, IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174
    www.haranlaw.com

3. Linda Vega

1

Answered . DACA or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival is not the Dream Act. The former is an Executive memo by the President that allows young eligible participants to apply for a work permit in the U.S. Once your fiance obtains his work permit under DACA, he may request a travel document before he leaves the U.S. This will ensure his re-entry. Additionally, once he re-enters, you may apply to adjust his status within the U.S.

4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Answered . I agree with my colleagues