Skip to main content

My fiancé and I took some private photos with NO intention of ANYONE else seeing them. My fiancé daughter wants to post them!!

Iowa City, IA |

My fiancé lent his laptop to his 18 year old daughter and thought he had erased all photos. Apparently his daughter found them and threatened to post them as well as send them to family and friends via email or text. What can I do????

Attorney Answers 3


Anything you can do now (i.e., before dissemination of the photos) is far easier, cheaper, and more effective than anything you can do after the fact. Most of the legal remedies are going to be very time consuming and VERY expensive.

You can reach our offices directly at (515) 288-6041. The comments listed here are of a general nature and should not be understood to create a formal attorney-client relationship -- that is, I am not, and I cannot give you legal advice here. I am licensed in Iowa and to become your attorney, I need to understand the particular facts and circumstances of your legal question.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Her father needs to have a serious discussion with her. Is she demanding something--money, a car, etc.-- in exchange for not posting the photographs. If so, it might be pointed out to her that extortion is a very serious crime.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Blending familes is hard. This is a situation where your fiance needs to control his child. If he cannot, you mightre- consider if he is ready to enter into marriage with you.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Internet law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics