My father willed a car to me worth $10,000. My brother-in-law (the executor of my father's estate) sold the car to his mother f

Asked over 1 year ago - Chapel Hill, NC

My father willed a car to me worth $10,000. My brother-in-law (the executor of my father's estate) sold the car to his mother for $4000, and gave me nothing. Is that legal?

1. Gregory Herman-Giddens

1

Answered . No - you should contact a lawyer regarding suing him for breach of fiduciary duty in order to attempt to collect the value of the car and possibly attorneys fees.

2. Doris Jordan Wiggen

1

Answered . If your father left you the car in his will, then the executor should not have sold the car to someone else. The executor is under a fiduciary duty to follow the terms of the will and can be held liable for failure to follow that duty. You should meet with an attorney to discuss your options.

3. Cheryl K. David

Pro

1

Answered . If the car was designated in your father's will to come to you and was in his name at death, then the car should have gone to you. I recommend that you contact an attorney to handle this matter for you.