My father willed a car to me worth $10,000. My brother-in-law (the executor of my father's estate) sold the car to his mother f

Chapel Hill, NC |

My father willed a car to me worth $10,000. My brother-in-law (the executor of my father's estate) sold the car to his mother for $4000, and gave me nothing. Is that legal?

1. No - you should contact a lawyer regarding suing him for breach of fiduciary duty in order to attempt to collect the value of the car and possibly attorneys fees.

2. If your father left you the car in his will, then the executor should not have sold the car to someone else. The executor is under a fiduciary duty to follow the terms of the will and can be held liable for failure to follow that duty. You should meet with an attorney to discuss your options.

You should not act upon any information contained in this website without first seeking legal counsel to thoroughly review the specific facts and circumstances of your case. This is not to be considered as a solicitation for legal services in any particular matter or as an invitation to establish an attorney-client relationship as to any particular matter. An attorney-client relationship with our firm and its lawyers is established only after a specific engagement has been expressly agreed to between our firm and a client through direct person-to-person communication. The content of any email sent to Wiggen Law Group PLLC via this website will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential.

3. If the car was designated in your father's will to come to you and was in his name at death, then the car should have gone to you. I recommend that you contact an attorney to handle this matter for you.

Wills and estates topics