My father was in house 25 before he remarried and he died 5 years later. What is his spouse entitled to.

Asked 12 months ago - Spartanburg, SC

2 children from previous marriage, none from second marriage.

1. William James Lalima

Answered . It depends on how the property was titled and if he had a will or other estate planning documents. If he owned the house 100% and if he died without a will, in SC the estate is devided 50/50 with 50% to his spouse at the time of death and 50% to his surviving children.

2. Ruth Elaine McMahon

Best Answer

Answered . It depends on several factors: was there a prenuptial agreement that would control? If not, was there a will? Were there joint accounts with right of survivorship? Was there "exempt property?" If there was no will, what is the law re "intestate succession" (without a will) in the state where your father died?
    I suggest that you contact an estate administration / probate attorney for a definite answer. All of the answers to the above questions will have to be considered for a final answer.