My father was arrest in 94 for drugs, he was here legally as a resident, he was deported in 98, is there any way to fix his lega

Las Vegas, NV |
Filed under: Immigration US visas

He was arrested and sentence for 1 kg of cocaine in 94 for 4 yrs then deported in 98. He was here legally. I want to know if there is any chance he can come back if i petition for him or can he try to get a turist visa in mexico to come here? He has not tried to come back sunce he was deported in 98 ? Thanks

It sounds to me like your father was removed for committing an aggravated felony (trafficking). After 1997, when you are deported for an agfel you are permanently inadmissible. However, it would be worth the price of a consultation with a specialist to have a thorough review of your dads case. I'm sorry!

The year might be of help, as well as if the case was during the overlap of rules. Go to an attorney with all the information and ask.

You need to have an experienced immigration attorney review the record of conviction as well as any other conviction records that your father may have.

Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I agree with my colleagues.

-Khaja Din