My father was arrest in 94 for drugs, he was here legally as a resident, he was deported in 98, is there any way to fix his lega

Asked over 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

He was arrested and sentence for 1 kg of cocaine in 94 for 4 yrs then deported in 98. He was here legally. I want to know if there is any chance he can come back if i petition for him or can he try to get a turist visa in mexico to come here? He has not tried to come back sunce he was deported in 98 ? Thanks

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to have an experienced immigration attorney review the record of conviction as well as any other conviction records that your father may have.

    Please see

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Peter Lunt Ashman

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sounds to me like your father was removed for committing an aggravated felony (trafficking). After 1997, when you are deported for an agfel you are permanently inadmissible. However, it would be worth the price of a consultation with a specialist to have a thorough review of your dads case. I'm sorry!

  3. Eduardo F Justo De Pomar

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The year might be of help, as well as if the case was during the overlap of rules. Go to an attorney with all the information and ask.

  4. Khaja M. Din


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    -Khaja Din

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,374 answers this week

2,964 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,374 answers this week

2,964 attorneys answering