My father remarried and had a son with the new wife. He has me and my two younger sisters(we are adults now)by my Mom(his first

Anacoco, LA |
Filed under: Family law

marriage). He says he isn't and does not have to leave us three girls from his first marriage anything. He is leaving everything to his new little son. Is this true and how can he get away with this. It doesn't seem fair to us. We live in Louisiana. Please explain if this is true or not?

He has to provide for his minor child or a child who has special needs. As for you adult children, your father can dispose of his property as he sees fit.

<<DISCLAIMER>> Information provided in this response is intended to be informational or educational only. It in no way establishes an attorney-client relationship. Because every case is factually (and in some instances jurisdictionally) dependent, it is not possible to accurately answer each question posed. If you have sincere legal concerns, it is highly recommended that you seek legal counsel IN YOUR AREA. A response is not intended to create, nor does it create, a continuing duty to respond. Also, Ms. Eskinde is licensed in Louisiana, so if you require immediate assistance, then you need to contact someone who is in your state, if outside of Louisiana.

He is correct - he doesn't have to leave anything to his adult children if he doesn't want to.

This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and is based on the limited information available at the time of the response. Before acting on anything stated or referenced in this response you should consult with an attorney of your choosing and go over the specific details of your legal circumstances.

Recommended articles about Family law