Skip to main content

My Father recently passed away and I am wondering if I am entitled to a copy of his will? He resided in Connecticut.

Farmington, CT |

I am located in Upstate, NY. I have never actually seen a copy of his will, although I do know that an extensive one was completed. Prior to his death, he told me I am named as a beneficiary, but in no great detail. I'd like to receive a copy of the will, but my step-mother seems very unwilling to allow me that opportunity. Thank you in advance for any advice you may be able to give ...

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The will and an application for probate must be filed in the probate court for the district where your father resided in order for your step-mother (or anyone else) to be appointed as executor. Once filed, the will becomes a public document and you will be entitled to a copy. Note that there are some matters which do not require formal probate, such as those where the decedent re-titled all of his assets into a revocable trust prior to his passing. Since your step-mother is "hiding the ball" here, your best bet is to retain an attorney to represent your interests. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.



Thank you Atty. Pankowski!

Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr


You are most welcome.


If she does not produce the will I would recommend that you discuss your best options with an estate attorney. Usually a letter from an attorney will cause the party to produce the will. If they still do not produce the wil your attorney would prepare a probate petition to name your the administrator and compell her to produce the will.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer