My father passed on just last month. He didn't leave a will and I would like to know what steps to take to pass it on to my name

Asked over 1 year ago - San Bernardino, CA

The only problem is he shares the property with his brother. My uncle and I are not close. Both their names are on the title but my father's name seems to be on there first then his brother's name second. I'd like to know what rights do I have in all this and what legal action should I take before my uncle takes over both houses and can he even do that?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

6

Answered . The first order of business is to determine the title to the real property on your dad's date of death. Until you know that, you cannot assume you are entitled to inherit any real property.

If your father owned the property as joint tenants with his brother the property passes to his brother by operation of law and you are out of the loop. The result is different if they owned property as tenants in common. There could be other forms of ownership.

You need to personally consult a probate attorney who can determine the status of title and advise you further regarding your rights once title has been determined.

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

6

Answered . The title needs to be examined to determine if it with rights of survivorship or 1/2 ownership.
    If your dad was 1/2 outright owner-you will need a probate attorney to assist you.

3. Amanda Marie Cook

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues; without looking at the deed, it is impossible to know whether you have any rights to the property. The order of names on the title does not matter. However, for joint tenancy, the order of death does matter. You should take the deed to an attorney for review.

4. William F. Bernard

3

Answered . Determine title at County Recorder's office and file a petition to open probate after seeing a competent lawyer.