My father passed away in Polk county Florida leaving only 3 life insurance policies for 3000.00 each.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Bartow, FL

The insurance company is telling us that we must contact the courthouse for pursuing small estate proceedings. Is there any way around this?

1. Sean Patrick Mason

Answered . If the insurance company is insisting that the life insurance proceeds are payable to your father's estate, then, sorry, there is no way around probate. You may be able to file a Petition for Summary Administration (for small estates) and ask the Judge to sign an order directing who should receive the proceeds. The probate process is supposed to ensure that all interested parties are included in the administration of the estate. I can assist you with the probate of your father's estate in any Florida County. Please contact my office if you would like to discuss in further detail.

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

Answered . Sorry-it sounds like it must go through probate. The good news is that it may go through a simple probate procedure called "Summary Administration".
    Attorney Joe Pippen
    Polk County Office 863-422-1370
    www.attypip.com
    Joe@attypip.com

3. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . I agree with the prior attorney. The reason that the insurance company is taking this position is that your father failed to name a beneficiary for the policy or that the person named is deceased and there was no contingent beneficiary named , or for some strange reason he named his estate as beneficiary. In most cases, as you now know, this is not the way to set up life insurance beneficiary designations.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is