My Father passed away in December of 2002, His then wife refused and has refused to give me his remains.

Missoula, MT |
Filed under: Wills

My Father passed away in December of 2002, His then wife refused and has refused to give me his remains. My Family has a Family Plot in Colorado where he is to be buried. Now, She to has passed away just a couple of days ago and now her family who has no ties to my or my dads side refuse to give him to me. I really don't know where or how to begin Legal action against them to get him....

What can I do to get his remain's?

1. Please explain why they would refuse to give you your FATHER'S remains? Makes no sense unkes something else i ngoing on here that you have not articulated.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

2. You should consult an attorney. Your step mother had the right to take control of her husband's remains and it is possible that her will directed that his and her remains be buried, scattered or otherwise disposed of together. Your attorney should be able to help you get more information so you can decide whether to pursue the issue.

The above answer is not to be considered legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. You should consult your attorney for specific legal advice as to your individual situation.

Wills and estates topics