My father passed away from Lung cancer - delayed diagnosis

Asked over 1 year ago - Mequon, WI

My father passed away from Lung Cancer. It was diagnosed by an ER doctor when it was stage 4 - it had spread everywhere, including the brain. My father had been going to the same doctor for 25 or more years. He had a blood clot in his lung the previous year and had 2 CT scans. Since he was a smoker that had quit 20 years ago.. his lungs were scarred and the radiologist noted "something" in his lung.. but did not mark it suspicious. M dad continued all year to complain to his regular doctor of dizziness, shortness of breath and hoarse voice .. and no further tests for ordered. He went home with pain pills, anxiety pills and sleeping pills. I urged my dad to seek a new doctor... but, he trusted his primary. His delayed diagnosis of stage 4 lung cancer led to his death with in a month.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm sorry for your loss. A local malpractice lawyer would need to order his medical records, and send them to an expert to evaluate.

  2. Antonios Kalogerakos

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Christian. In addition, I would want to get all his records, including his priors, death certificate, and autopsy report (if any)....

  3. Jason Todd Studinski

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I'm sorry for your loss. Consult a medical malpractice lawyer in your area. Attorney Mike End practices in Milwaukee and is a very good medical malpractice lawyer. Consider contacting him. If he is unable to help you, he may know someone who can. All my best.

  4. Todd Nathan Hendrickson


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Definitely have those CTs reviewed. If lung cancer was present they should have been diagnostic. Use Avvo to find a local attorney experienced in med mal, particularly cancer.

    This answer is provided as a public service for informational purposes only. Providing this information does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,418 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,418 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering