Skip to main content

My father passed away and my father's girlfriend is listed as "next of kin", does she have any legal rights?

Tampa, FL |

I'm the only child.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. I am sorry your father passed away. I am assuming your father was not married. You have all the rights as an heir at law, she has none. If she is named a beneficiary under his will, or personal representative, she has rights. You need to hire a probate attorney NOW.

    The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button

  2. Listed as "next of kin" on what?
    She does not have any rights of inheritance unless she is named in will.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

  3. I am not sure how or on what document she is listed as next of kin. If it was in hospital documents it would not have any legal significance. She would need to be listed as a beneficiary in a will or trust or some other document which provided her legal rights for her benefit from such a designation.

    My comments are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, are not confidential, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given by an attorney who agrees to represent you, who reviews the facts of your specific case, who does not have a conflict of interest preventing the representation, and who is licensed as an attorney in the state where the law applies.

  4. I am sorry for the loss of your father. Unless your father had a will that specifically named his girlfriend in it, and provided for her, then she would have no legal right to any part of his estate, except property that she jointly owned with him (a car in both parites names, a home in both parties name etc..). You should consider hiring an attorney to help you understand and probate his estate right away.

    The hiring of a lawyers is a serious decision and should not be based on this answer. This answer is not deemed to create a lawyer/client relationship and this answer is limited to facts provided.

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics