My father passed away about 3 years ago, I am just today finding out things that would make me think that I might be an heir.

Asked over 1 year ago - Dunlap, TN

My father lived in Ohio and I live in Tennesse, is there any public records that I can search to see if this could be true. Would like to find something before I give my time and money. Is there something out there that could help me in this search, with very low to none cost. My stepmother is hiding something from me and before it is to late, I would like to find out what it might be, although if she is hiding something from me it would have something to do with my father. Can you please help me.

1. James C. Higgs

4

Answered . At little cost, you may need to check to see if a probate case was ever opened in the state where your father died. A free consultation with an Ohio probate lawyer in that county while you were there about status of children and stepparents and rights to the estate would be in order as well as statutes of limitations for filing such matters.

2. James P. Frederick

4

Answered . In addition to Mr. Higg's suggestion, you can also check the public real estate records at little or no cost to determine how your father's real estate was held. If title was in his name alone or held as tenants in common, then probate would have been necessary, in all likelihood.

James Frederick

3. Edwin Arnold Anderson

Pro

1

Answered . Start with the Probate Court Clerk in the County where you father resided. They will be able to tell you whether an Estate has been opened. If a Will was filed with the Probate, they will likely have the Will. If no Probate was opened, they will have nothing.

It is probably worth your while to hire an attorney to do some investigation for you. Our office does this for people who are out of state and have questions about Tennessee probate matters. For 2-3 hours worth of work you can get a pretty thorough picture of what is (or isn't) going on.

4. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

2

Answered . Attorneys Higgs and Frederick have provided you with good advice. If you find anything, you should contact a local Ohio probate attorney for fact specific guidance.