My father passed and left some stock shares that were not listed in his trust.

Asked over 1 year ago - Mount Vernon, WA

His trust listed me as executor; the stock company wants a bond placed. How do we get affidavit to liquidate these stocks?

1. Karl L. Flaccus

Pro

4

Answered . Your question raises questions about whether there was a will, a pour-over will, a stand alone trust, or a trust within a will. Companies are generally very conservative in how they handle transfer of stock that is still in the name of a deceased person. Small estate affidavits usually do not work -- very often probate is needed. In Washington, unlike other states such as California, probate is relatively inexpensive and straightforward, something you would need a Washington lawyer for.

Karl Flaccus

2. Peter Jay Visser

Pro

3

Answered . I would guess that the stock transfer company wants a bond to allow you to transfer the stock without a probate. If you started a probate, you should not need a bond, just the Letter's Testamentary which are part of the estate process.

You should contact a local probate/estate planning attorney to discuss these issues.

3. James P. Frederick

3

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Gold. You are mixing terms and it is not entirely clear what you stand. The stock company would likely request/require a bond, if you cannot locate the original stock certificates. This is not a big deal, and they may even provide the bond for you, for a relatively nominal charge. If you can locate the original stock certificates, such a bond would not be necessary. The other issue is who has the authority to authorize transfer or liquidation of the shares. If they were in the trust, that would be the trustee. Since they are apparently not in the trust, then it is likely they would need to go through probate.

If the value is less than $100k, then you may be able to use small estate proceedings. As Attorney Gold suggested, there may also be a way to avoid full blown probate. See here, for more information: http://www.small-estate-affidavit.com/Small-Est...

"C. Use of the Affidavit by a Living Trustee

This Small Estate Affidavit transfer procedure has merit for its clearly intended beneficiaries: Successors of a Decedent whose probate estate does not exceed $100,000. But it can also be used effectively in a variety of other situations. For example: A Decedent who used a Revocable Living Trust as his/her estate planning vehicle, but who forgot to transfer to the Trust personal property that qualifies for this transfer procedure, such as a $50,000 brokerage account, car, boat, etc. This modest transfer procedure, assuming Decedent had the requisite "pour-over" Will ("all assets at my death not already in my Trust I give to my Trustee"), could save Decedent's Trustee at Decedent's death from having to initiate a formal probate proceeding to get the errant property into the Trust."

That would appear to be what you need, if your circumstances fit. If there is significant money involved, you certainly want to contact an attorney to discuss this. If the stock is of nominal value, you might try to work through the company to have it transferred to the trust.

James Frederick

4. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

3

Answered . First, you are likely the trustee of the trust and the executor of the estate. If the asset was not placed in the trust, by mistake or inadvertence, in California you could file a petition (Heggstad) in an attempt to resolve the issue. You should consult with a WA attorney to see if there is an equivalent. Otherwise, the stock would have to go though probate.