Skip to main content

My father left some money for me after he passed away in the US or in Canada but i dont know where and how to get it.

Los Angeles, CA |

I am looking for help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you have no idea where the money is, you are not going to be terribly successful. If there was a probate you should check the probate file for details, and that should describe what the assets were and how they were distributed. If there was no probate, but there was a will -- who was named as the personal representative? That person may have more information. If your father had a 'family attorney' you could try to call that person to see if there are records.

Short of that, you can search for 'escheated funds' in any state / province where the money MAY have been, but that can be a complicated and drawn out process in multiple jursiditctions. Good luck!


When you say "left some money" that implies there is an instrument of some kind that gives you the right to the assets. There are asset finders which you can find on the internet who will do traces for assets, but it will cost you either up front or as a percentage. You can also check jurisdictions where he lived for escheated funds (went to or is held by the State or Province). It is a laborious process but if you have some inkling there is something out there you should pursue it.

This comment does not constitute the giving of legal advice nor create an attorney client relationship.


To get a good answer to your question more facts are needed. How do you know he left some money for you? When did you learn of this? Where did he live? Do you have access to his paperwork?

Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract.

Good Luck starts with a strategy and a plan.

Robert J. Suhajda, MS,CPA
Attorney At Law
17721 Norwalk Blvd. #43
Artesia, CA 90701

Former financial auditor and controller. Admitted to US Tax Court, Income Tax, IRS representation, Fiduciary income tax returns, Estate and Gift tax returns,
Homeowner Association Strategist.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer