My father just recently got arrested on 3 counts of robbery with a weapon he has bipolar and a drug addition how much time carry

Asked over 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

Has not been in trouble in about 17yrs. He has not been taking his medicine for bipolar. He would never hurt anyone ever. Very nice man. His wife just left him. And he just wasn't thinking straight he lives in Tampa,FL. What can they do and how much time could he be looking at??

1. Summer Rae Goldman

Pro

8

Answered . As Mr. Dorsten stated, Robbery with a Weapon is a very serious charge that carries a mandatory prison sentence. That being said, based on his mental health and substance abuse issues, the judge could give him a lighter sentence.
    Good luck!
    Summer Goldman
    www.goldmanwetzel.com

2. Nick Jay Dorsten

7

Answered . These are VERY serious charges. A robbery with a weapon is a First degree felony, punishable by up to 30 years per count. Depending on when and what priors he has, he may be facing at a minimum years or decades in prison.
    You should speak with an attorney asap. It sounds like your father may be eligible for a departure based on mental illness. A good defense lawyer can investigate the facts of the case and may be able to resolve it favorably.

I practice often in the Tampa Bay area. Feel free to call me if you have any other questions.

Good luck,
    Nicholas Dorsten, Esq.
    Blake & Dorsten, P.A.

3. James Regan

Pro

6

Answered . Find an attorney experienced with the following Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure:

RULE 3.216. INSANITY AT TIME OF OFFENSE; and
    RULE 3.211. COMPETENCE TO PROCEED: SCOPE OF EXAMINATION AND REPORT.

If your father is convicted of three counts of Robbery with a Weapon (FS 812.13(2)(b)), three counts, he could potentially be sentenced to up to 90 years in prison if the counts were run consecutive.

If your father is convicted of three counts of Robbery with a Deadly Weapon (FS 812.13(2)(a)), three counts, he could potentially be sentenced to up to 90 years in prison if the counts were run consecutive, or possibly Life.

Please feel free to contact me for a free consultation.

Sincerely,

James Regan, Esq.
    http://www.defendMe.net