My Father just gave me his house, currently valued at $50,000.00, as a gift. How much will he have to pay in gift tax?

Asked about 3 years ago - San Antonio, TX

I think I understand that as it was a gift; I do not have to pay federal tax on his gift. But he will have to file form 709 and pay a gift tax. I'm trying to figure out how much he will owe in gift tax?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . He owes nothing in gift taxes. First, the first $13,000 of this gift qualifies for the annual donee exclusion. As to the remaining $37,000, he will use some of his $5 million lifetime exemption. So there is no gift tax to be paid. He will in fact have to file a Form 709.
    As an aside, you do realize that you must use a carryover basis (what dad paid plus improvements) to determine the gain if you later sell this property. If you received this house at his death you would have gotten a step up in basis to the date of death value (assume $50,000). If you later sell you would have little or no gain. So if dad paid little for the house and made only minor improvement, the gift made will result in higher capital gains if you sell it later.

    Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is . For further tax advice check out his website at . and his blog at <>

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia... more
  2. Philip R. Lehmberg

    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . If gift taxes or estate taxes are an issue due to prior gifts, and assuming he will stay in the house for a few years, you may want to investigate the use of a QPRT (qualified personal residence trust).

  3. Henry Daniel Lively

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . As the donor your father will have to file a gift tax return. He is entitled to an annual exclusion of $13,000 for gifts made to you in a given year, and it could double to $26,000 if he is married. The difference must be reported on a gift tax return. Your father has a life time gift exclusion that is currently $5,000,000 and he can use this to exclude the balance of the gift if he has not already used up this exclusion. If he has sufficient exclusion available, then he should owe nothing in gift tax. Your basis in the property for income tax purposes will be a carry over basis -- the same basis that your father had immediately before transferring the property to you.

    Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,534 answers this week

3,089 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,534 answers this week

3,089 attorneys answering