My father is 92 , and entered a nursing home in broward county , fl . if he applies for medicaid , and establishes a trust

Boca Raton, FL |

will medicaid re coup the money paid ... when he passes away ?

1. Depends. Florida has Medicaid estate recovery but not everything is subject to estate recovery. It certainly is possible to arrange one's affairs to avoid ER issues. Your best bet is to consult a local elder law attorney for individual advice.

Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com for articles and Q&A on elder law, special needs, wills, trusts, estates, and tax. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com/blog and subscribe for free timely updates to be delivered to your inbox. Information on both Avvo and SpecialNeedsNJ.com does not constitute legal advice, as it is general in nature and may not apply to your situation or be subject to important changes. No attorney client relationship exists unless set forth in written engagement terms.

2. More details are needed to properly address your question. In general, Medicaid has a 5 year look back period with regards to assets and qualifying for benefits. Depending on the situation, you may be able to establish an income trust, which upon death, would pay the remaining assets to the State as a reimbursement for services. In any event, if an individual is the recipient of Medicaid, the State does make a claim against their estate upon death.

Please contact an estate attorney to better address your specific situation.

Answer does not constitute legal advice. Please call (727) 471-0039 or contact me at arauman@protectyourfuture.com, if you would like to discuss your Florida legal matter further. This answer is provided for informational and/or educational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Adam is a Florida Attorney practicing in areas of Estate Planning, Elder Law, Trusts, Probate, Guardianship, and Business Law. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed.

3. Each situation is unique, and there is no way in this forum to provide you with a clear answer. Your most prudent course of action would be to consult with a local elder law attorney to explore your options. If you need help finding one, try the Avvo find a lawyer tool.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold www.EGoldLaw.com Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con

Wills and estates topics