My father-in-law who is 94 just received an inheritance from a daughter from his first marriage who died without a will.

Asked over 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

The other children from that marriage contested his inheriting the assets and had already liquidate about half of her assets. They settled the matter and with their keeping the portion they received and he has several accounts in California where his daughter lived. He lives in Florida with his wife who is 86. My wife will be inheriting the funds upon her mother's demise. We are concerned because my father-in-law recently had a stroke and has been going in and out of lucidity. She is concerned that the original siblings could take the funds if he is deemed incompetant. His current will leaves everything to her. Will she have access to the funds if he is deemed incompetant until he dies. Thank you,

1. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . It sounds like your FIL needs to sit down with an estate planning attorney to go over his own estate plan. From your description, the fact that he got the funds through a settlement has no effect. If the prior case is settled and he has received the funds, the funds are his, period. At this point, you have to make sure that your FIL has proper valid powers of attorney and perhaps a revocable living trust so that assets can be used for his benefit while he is alive and if and when he is incapacitated. If he already lacks capacity and doesn't have proper estate planning, it is very possible he will need a guardian appointed and his wife may not be the right person due to advanced age. See a lawyer about this right away.

2. Adam Troy Rauman

Pro

4

1

Answered . The other attorney have offered sound advice. Take your wife's mother and father-in-law to an estate attorney when he is lucid to complete their estate plan. Without the proper estate documents in place, you may have to seek a guardianship to ensure proper care of your father-in-law and to protect his assets, which could be costly.

3. James P. Frederick

4

1

Answered . As usual, Mr. Zelinger has offered stellar advice, and I agree with him. A durable POA is likely to completely resolve this situation. If your FIL lacks capacity to sign a POA, then your may be stuck going to probate to obtain guardianship/conservatorship for him. I would have him meet with an attorney during one of his lucid intervals, to make sure all his estate planning is in order.

James Frederick