My father-in-law passed away. I am not in the will. I paid for bills 3 years prior to death. can I get reimbursed?

Asked about 1 year ago - Killeen, TX

Everything in the will went to my father-in-law's daughter. The will was probated. I lived in his house rent free for three years but paid cc bills, taxes etc.. does the daughter legally have to pay me back?

1. James P. Frederick

5

Answered . Probably not. What was your understanding with your FIL regarding the payments you made? Was it a loan? Was it payment in lieu of rent? More facts are needed. There is a theoretical claim against the estate. But this sounds really iffy to me, absent some concrete loan agreement or documentation of the agreement that you be repaid.

James Frederick

2. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

5

Answered . I agree with Attorney Frederick. It appears that your father-in-law allowed you to live in the house in exchange for the payment of his expenses as a form of rent. With that said, please consult with an experienced probate attorney to see if a claim against your father-in-law's estate could prove fruitful. Good luck to you.

3. Celia R Reed

4

Answered . I agree with both of my colleagues. It does not sound like the daughter or the estate owes you anything because you stayed in the house for the three years you paid expenses. Your remedy, if any, would be to file a creditor's claim, but I would consult with a probate attorney before deciding whether to pursue reimbursement.