My father hired a lawyer for a car accident I got in. Now I have a court date and my lawyer dropped my case. What do I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newport Beach, CA

My court date is in a couple of weeks and my father is not following thru with a new lawyer. What will happen when I show up to court without a lawyer? What should I do? My father created this big mess.

1. Barry P. Goldberg

Pro

11

Answered . If you are old enough, YOU should start interviewing lawyers right away. This happens more than you think.
    Check out the AVVO guys near you!!!

2. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

8

Answered . If a lawsuit has been filed, the only way your lawyer can withdraw is to either have you consent to a "Substitution of Attorney" or to file a motion to withdraw, with which the lawyer must serve you a copy and provide notice of a hearing. This may be the "court date" to which you refer, however, it isn't clear. The bottom line is that you need to find another attorney to represent you immediately or you risk having the case dismissed and (potentially) not being able to re-file the case.

3. S. David Rosenthal Esquire

Pro

6

Answered . Your prior lawyer did not do you any favors by dropping the case with a pending court date. In order for your case to be successful, you must have representation. If you are a minor and your father is your guardian ad litem, you may have to petition for a new guardian to be appointed who will take care of business. If you are not a minor, you may have to hire a lawyer on your own.

4. Gary Phillip Heslin

Pro

6

Answered . I agree with the other answers. both give you good information. One thing. I can't tell if your court date is for a criminal/juvenile type case OR a civil case. If its a criminal case you should get REALLY serious about trying to find a private lawyer, or, if you qualify, a public defender. You don't want an angry judge.

5. David J. McCormick

5

Answered . If your lawyer filed a lawsuit, then they need the court’s approval before they can withdraw. You need to start looking for a new attorney ASAP. If you can’t find one before your court date, then tell the judge what happened and request time to find a new attorney.

6. George Costas Andriotis

4

Answered . You need to hire another lawyer ASAP as he will need to get a copy of your file from your prior attorney and review same so he can get ready for Trial. This process takes time and I don't know how soon your set for Trial so time is of the essence.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Pro

4

Answered . Have your father find another lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  8. Richard Andrew Harting

Pro

2

Answered . If you prior attorney properly withdrew from the case, i.e. there is a sign substitution of attorney, then you show up to your court hearing advise the court what happened and request additional time to find new counsel. If your attorney did not withdraw properly then the attorney should be in Court with you.

9. Jeffrey Mark Adams

3

Answered . Only point I'll add is; doesn't seem to me your father did anything wrong.

10. Kevin Coluccio

2

Answered . Go to the AVVO site and look for a lawyer in your community.