My father entered to the us illegally in 1999, and in 2009 he left the country. How can he get a pardon from immigration?

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

I'm a us citizen and want to applie for my dad , this is his situacion , he worked in Denver for a few years , in the 1980s he obtained his legal SSN number . In the present he's out of the country .

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Rehim Babaoglu

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Feldman. He will need the form I-601 hardship waiver to be approved.

  2. Lynne Rogers Feldman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are over 21 you may petition for your Dad and he would be considered an immediate relative. After he left in 2009 he triggered a ten year penalty and assuming he has not tried to come back since that date he is eligible to apply for a waiver of that penalty if the equities are there. You should have a consultation with an immigration lawyer and include him on the phone call to make sure all the facts are known about his immigration and criminal history before starting on this complex process.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

    Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

  3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree. Understand he will need a waiver for the unlawful presence bar which was triggered in 2009 when he departed. You will also need to speak to an attorney about any other (possible) bars he may have which may also need waivers. He will need to consular process and file for the waiver after filing the I-130. Be sure to consult an excellent AILA attorney.

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication in any way. Consult a competent... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,455 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,455 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering