My father died with an intestate and insolvent estate. i never got involved with the property after his death, and walked away

Asked about 1 year ago - Long Branch, NJ

his hoa has recently sued me for delinquent hoa dues. i don't think they realize that i am not a title holder of the property. they say because i am sole heir that i am somehow responsible. this is incorrect, right?

1. Steven R. Neuner

Pro

Answered . Their argument is that when your Dad died, you became the beneficial owner of the property and are enjoying the benefits of the property even though title has not passed to you. There is some caselaw that might support this claim. It can be challenged. However, you do have to see a lawyer to get more advice about this. Do not ignore any suit naming you as a defendant.

2. Dheeraj Kumar Singhal

Answered . HOA fees run with the title of the property, therefore, you are only liable if the title of the property has passed to you.