My father died how do I get the title to his car

Asked over 4 years ago - Smithville, MS

my father died ,the title to his car is misplaced how do i get the title.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jeramie J. Fortenberry

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You should contact the Mississippi Department of Revenue, Title Bureau, and fill out the appropriate paperwork. Their web address is You should not need to go through probate simply to transfer title to his heirs.

  2. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Your first step is to call the department of motor vehicles in his state to see what the procedures are for obtaining a new one. Also, tell them he has died. Perhaps there is a way with a presentation of his death certificate alone to get the title reissued in your name. If not at least get the title to be sent to you. Then you can then have the title reissued in your name either by a notary process or setting up an estate administration.

    Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is listed below.
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,292 answers this week

3,537 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,292 answers this week

3,537 attorneys answering